Creating Rhinestone Jewelry
We’ve all had that experience when we walked into the boutique to just “look around.” Then you spotted that one-of-a-kind necklace that you just had to have and about fell over when you looked at the price tag. Rest assured, a crafty chick like yourself can create the same works of art!
We have a solution to get that beautiful piece of jewelry you want without paying boutique prices. Let us help stock you up with beautiful crystals and jewelry mounts to create your own retail-worthy jewelry.
Jewelry Mounts & Settings
A simple way to create stunning jewelry is to use jewelry mounts and settings. Apply a little GemTac to the jewelry blank. Then using the Crystal Katana, lift and place the crystals one-by-one. Let the glue dry between five to ten minutes before wearing. Another way to use jewelry blanks are the mounts. Using the Crystal Katana, simply lift and place a Swarovski Chatons within the prongs. Then press the prongs over the chaton using the prong-pushing hand tool or with tweezers.
Shop Jewelry Blanks & Supplies
For working in tight, really detailed areas the standard method of gluing works really well. This is done by applying your adhesive of choice to the fabric, and then placing setting crystal into the glue. Here are a few quick tips:
- A tiny dab of glue will go a long way. The goal is to set your crystal into place without the glue oozing beyond the edges onto your fabric. You can use a toothpick if you’re in a bind, but our application experts prefer the syringe method. Applying crystals with our Crystal Pro syringe kit will give you a precise application every time, and speed up your blinging skills.
- To make picking up and placing crystals easier, you can use a number of tools including tweezers, wax dop sticks, or the Crystal Katana applicators. Many professionals prefer the Crystal Katana for it’s comfort and long-lasting wax tip. Simply touch the point of the Katana to your crystal, lift it onto your design, and when you lift up the crystal will stay in place.
- Know which adhesive is most appropriate for your surface. For fabrics, many artists prefer GemTac. For plastic surfaces and ceramics you may consider a two-part epoxy or Swarovski CG-500
Shop Flatback Gluing Supplies
Ceralun Clay and Jewelry Findings
Ceralun clay is another simple and fast way to embellish jewelry or other accessories. To embellish jewelry using ceralun clay, you will need to begin with a jewelry finding. Dreamtime Creations has several categories of findings to choose from such as bracelets, rings, belt buckles, etc. Here is the process for using ceralun clay:
- Using an X-Acto knife, cut off equal parts of clay from your supply.
- Mix the clays together for 3-4 minutes by rolling it around between your palms
- Press the clay into the jewelry finding
- Using the Crystal Katana, begin lifting and placing Swarovski Chatons into the clay
- Once you’ve finished placing all of your chatons in the desired design, your creation is complete
Shop Ceralun Clay, Jewelry Findings, and Supplies
Cup-chain jewelry is another popular category of jewelry and using the prong pushing hand tool, cup-chain jewelry is extremely easy to create. Dreamtime Creations has empty cup-chain jewelry in ready-made pieces such as bracelets or necklaces. We also carry empty cup-chain by the yard. Creating cup-chain jewelry is a two-step process:
- Place the Swarovski Chaton in the empty cup of the cup-chain
- Press the prongs around the chaton using the prong pushing hand tool
Shop Cupchain, Chatons, and Settings